Sunday 15 May 2016

Day 1 - The Start, Sunday 15th May


Stage 1 starts today and I feel strange - it doesn't seem to have begun properly yet.
Walked to Luccmobe and saw some parishioners, then up a very steep hill to Wooton Courtenay
(bagged church #1!) to Grabbist. Lovely walk down into Dunster where I arrived 1 1/4 hrs. early for evensong (three of us and a churchwarden) - so plenty of time for a pint in a lovely pub garden.
I meant to read out the following, given
to me by neighbour Candy on Sun but forgot:
it's from the celtic tradition - a song of amergin:
(I saw plenty of sea, the moon and the sun - but no stags, hawks or boars!)
I am the wind on the sea.
I am the ocean wave.
I am the sound of the billows.
I am the seven-horned stag.
I am the hawk on the cliff.
I am the dewdrop in sunlight.
I am the fairset of flowers.
I am the raging boar.
I am the salmon in the deep pool.
I am the lake on the plain.
I am the meaning of the poem.
I am the point of the spear.
I am the god that makes fire in the head.
Who levels the mountain?
Who speaks the age of the moon?
Who has been where the sun sleeps?
Who, if not I?

(loosely based on Psalm 81??)

Are you ready, steady, it’s off
 I go one by one, two by two
We all peel off, save one
 who walks to his destination

Others walk by, greet, give best wishes
 then it’s finding new paths to walk
Glorious sun-kissed compassion and grace
 Glittering wood - gladly showering leaves

Sing aloud to God our strength
 Raise a song - blow the trumpet
The full-moon not so full - rises
 In the sun-blessed sky’s warmth

I relieved your shoulder of the burden
 - says God. My rucksack feels ok
But lighter without - so what is my burden
 I’m carrying with me on Pilgrimage way?

From Wootton Courtenay the path is so stepp
 Yet God renews us when we call in distress
In the secret places of thunder
 Hurry - not today, just wind and warmth.

Open wide your mouths and I will fill them
 and I want to act and think and pray
But listen to God - then we will be filled
 with fresh wheat and sun-dripped honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment