Friday 27 May 2016

WALK TO AVEBURY (from Bromham)

I seem to have not concluded the last blog - even if started.
Never mind.

An amazing day - quite a challenge to get to the ridgeway from Bromham, and cold, but stunning, once I was there. I arrived at Avebury quite early and had an interesting conversation  with a passer-by about ley lines, Paganism and Neo-Paganism! I don't know her name, but she certainly was no fan of the National Trust. 

Then I went into the church, full of visitors - and saw it as a centre for interfaith prayers;pilgrims were welcomed; there was a goodies box for passing pilgrims and homeless people to help themselves from (maybe something we could learn in Porlock?) I found out they were holding sung Celtic Evensong which I attended (along with two others); I was made most welcome; even a prayer I prayed was appreciated - about  resolving conflict.

I was asked to carry a prayer card (the Great Invocation) for someone called Adrian, who had just died and was a Buddhist sound healer, for whom an interfaith prayer vigil was said the previous night.

I felt incredibly peaceful after the service; only slightly diluted by the inevitable pub, gassy cider and canned music afterwards. There was also in the pub a picture of a supposed ley line route from Glastonbury to Avebury (and beyond in both directions). It's interesting that I went to the "George and Pilgrim" in Glastonbury;

I do feel that I am reclaiming the ancient tradition of Christian Pilgrimage; I have said more than once that I think some people from outside the church "get it" in a way that some from within don't. The vicar here, Maria (emphasis on the first syllable) said that the village was designed for the pilgrim, even special crosses were carved in stones in the corners of the outside of the church; and special windows/doorways for them at the neighbouring priory and nunnery.

I now feel I have a purpose, an extra purpose, to take this invocation prayer card for
Adrian to Lindisfarne. Maria prayed a beautiful prayer for the people of Porlock and its church, too. May they, we and I grow as we continue to seek to walk together.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Loving this blog Bill, well done. (Bet you're glad Daff told me about it) ha ha!! X keep it up.

    ReplyDelete