Thursday 21 July 2016

Durham Blog 2

I do not know what to write – and I don't seem to be able to write poetry.

I was overwhelmed in the cathedral by sensation, spectacle and the sacred. I am ready to leave now, but a little of my heart is there (to misquote Ann Spence).

“Kynren” has to be seen to be believed (google it if you've never heard of it) – it explained the history of two places I'd been to - Stamford Bridge and Neville's Cross.

So does the cathedral (have to be seen to be believed) - with quiet Bede and reverential Cuthbert – as I have already said, very moving.

Our hospitality here has been great too – we have been allowed to get on with things, and enjoy the “northern experience”.

But I am ready to leave – having read about Bede and Cuthbert and Aidan amongst others – I feel I am being immersed in the northern Celtic Saints.

I'll finish this blog with a version of Celtic night prayer (slightly adapted):

Take my beginnings: and bless their completion.
Take my striving: and soften my need.
Take my journey: and lead me deeper –
and lead me onward. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment