Saturday 23 July 2016

REFLECTIONS BY A FRUSTRATED PILGRIM – THE MORE FACTUAL ONE

Well, it’s happened again. Pilgrimage suspended. This time it’s my health, not Daff’s. Sunstroke or a virus. Fortunately, we staying at Olga’s friend, Maureen, whose allowing me to recover.

 

My last walking day* was one of two when I was without my camera phone (temporarily mislaid!). However, I can clearly remember my excitement at leaving Durham (technically Gateshead) to enter Northumberland. Self-styled “land of the borders”.

 

*[Before my last walking day, I’d walked from Durham to Lanchester, and from there to Leadgate (not Consett) – both nights staying with a young(er) couple – Hannah and David – both ordained. They trained at Cuddeston at the same time as Liz Mortimer. It was great to attend services led by both of them and to see what life was like in an ex-mining community.]

 

I walked to Heddon-on-the-wall via a lovely church dedicated to St. Oswin (look him up), which was so peaceful and prayerful. Daff saw me walking along the road and beeped at me (a first) – so we stopped in the pub there.

 

She’d been to “Heavenfield” almost by chance – about 10/15 miles away. I said I really wanted to go there. So, after warning Maureen we’d be a little late, we went there.

 

A small church, like Stoke Pero (in Porlock Parish) – in the middle of a field. It had the base of a cross, the original of which was meant to be sixth century.

 

This is where King Oswald was victorious in battle after a vision promising him success

(nb not many saints were warrior kings – but he was).

 

The significance for me is that I’ll be joining Oswald’s way which goes from Heaven’s Gate to Lindisfarne.

 

In the planning stages I’d looked at this walk and decided it started just a little too far west for me. Hence me picking it up later. So it was great to travel there – if only by motorised transport.

No comments:

Post a Comment