Thursday 21 July 2016

Durham onwards Blog 2/3

Uprootedness or Rootedness – that is the question?
In the outdoor performance of Kynren much was made of Shakespeare supposedly meeting Queen Elizabeth I in Durham – any quotes were mis-appropriated - or just appropriated, so I feel able to misquote.

Iam Adam, of Cave,Refectory, Road, says this in
“Stay Somewhere”* (see end)

In my journey I often feel I am doing the opposite – leaving too soon. I must get on, I feel myself saying (eg this morning to Daff – we need to leave). I often just get to know people and then have to depart.

However, also, I often can rest - as long as I care to - in a church or a pub, cafe or park bench – in a sense time is my own guardian.

In both staying and moving on the can be “rootedness” (and uprootedness if we let it); I guess the difference is an attitude of mind, our approach to time.

I deliberately lingered in a pub garden writing this – drinking soft drinks in the heat – to try and express my thoughts; but to push the boundaries – longer than I imagine will be comfortable. It's my “imagining” that's the key issue here; maybe I'll do the course in
Imagination, Theology and Culture after all next year, rather than the one on spirituality (MAs part-time in Sarum) – who knows.

Keep those imagination juices flowing!

    *
  • Stay somewhere
  • Remain in one place
    for longer than you imagine will be comfortable
  • Stay there for whatever length of time that will be more than you would choose
  • Give yourself to the place and to the moment.

(from Cave, Refectory Road, quoting “Stay somewhere”)

1 comment:

  1. I don't imagine you have any problem 'remaining longer than is comfortable' in a pub Bill? Correct me if I'm wrong here?? Glad you and Daff are enjoying the journey together for a while. x

    ReplyDelete