Monday 27 June 2016

BLOG 12

Well, we all woke up to a shocker this am) – Bill’s crossed the Humber into Yorks. (or did I mean the referendum result).
Will life ever be the same again?
Well, I’ve been to Yorkshire before, but not this part. I was very excited about crossing the Humber Bridge – many photos – well videos on my camera. It was a bit scary, though – I’m not a great one for heights.
 
Great pub/wedding venue the far side, where staff were very helpful to me as I was without a map for the first time ever (Once before I had only a photocopy and got lost!).
A lady called Sue printed off a copy of the Yorks Wolds way for me – I’m doing the first three stages.
Stopped for lunch and a pint at a delightful village called Melton (near Welton!), opposite a church with a pond and a moat. The church was interesting and had some stunning stained glass by both Burne-Jones and Wm. Morris workshop, built by Gilbert Scott I think.
It was beautiful, but somehow the church didn’t inspire me.
 
Lots of small climbing up and down (it is the Yorks Wolds), but with Lincs. I’m out of practice. I had a hilarious encounter with a well-meaning local man who spent 10 mins giving me directions, then changing them so I could walk on the Wolds Way. My head was buzzing and I found a completely different route!
 
Got to South Cave just on time very near where the footpath ended by fluke. I was entertained royally by a charming couple Peter and Sarah Draper; she’s a Primary Headteacher in Hull, he’s a university lecturer and an NSM. They just let me be – I’m now more relaxed. They even did my washing for me!
 
On a more serious point, I think today has marked a change in my travelling – it’s as if I’m seeing the world with new eyes. I wonder what lies in store? I heard “Thought for the day” and felt it was good, given by Bp. Richard; sort of saying we have to work with the shock of the new, but still work together in partnership.
 
But how will it all end (other than with the Second Coming)?
Wait – as we often sing in Taize – and see.

1 comment:

  1. Checkout 'Be Like Bill' on facebook for the answer! x

    ReplyDelete