Thursday 23 June 2016

Mon. June 20th. June Blog 9

I seem to recently have lost the art of meditating/reflecting upon a psalm as I walk; one came up in an archway as I walked to Spridlington from Lincoln – it might have been Psalm 100, but I don’t think so. Four different verses were written over the archways between the nave and the chancel, so it was a good reminder for me not to give up.
 
I think it finished by praising God’s truth and justice and started perhaps with praising God’s creation.
 
As I’ve said before, sometimes I just seem to have to concentrate on the walking – and maybe praying a bit for people if I’m lucky – no holy mendicant poustinik me!
 
It was sad to have had to have left Lee and Clare today; great company and lively fellowship, with deep conversation; but I’m looking forward to meeting Sally and Geoff.
 
I’m still mulling over making new friendships for such short periods of time, and the inevitability of having to leave and move on; such is the joy of “being a pilgrim”. The meeting of people almost seems more important sometimes than the walking, certainly as important.
 
Today was a short distance, but I started late owing to the appalling weather, and managed to visit two bookshops and the cathedral shop on my way out; sheltering as I went. Guess which was by far the worst.
 
It’s not very difficult if I tell you that the manager of one of  the second-hand bookshops said that all the cathedral was interested in was making money. A little unfair, but they (the cathedral)  had next to no theology and no icons, worse than most that I see.
 
This is not the space for a rant about the sparsity of good second-hand theology; but I see it as tragic that cathedrals miss that opportunity following the disaster of the collapse of SPCK. Rant over for the minute.
 
So, out of the rain, I got to Nettleham, and dried of outside a Methodist chapel (Methodism seems to have been really strong in this part of Lincs), which had only just shut  - it was open for prayer for the referendum. I then, surprise, surprise found a pub, left it later, only for the heavens to open again, and so had to shelter in the next pub and of course have another drink – at least the very kind landlady pointed me in the right direction as I had been disorientated in the heavy rain.
 
Later very wet walks through fields to Weltam where I found an open welcoming church.
 
Eventually got to Sally’s and had what I felt was a well-deserved hot bath and a lovely tea. Another lovely couple – watched the tail end of the England/Slovakia match – a goalless draw (always is whenever I watch football).
 
Sounds as if weather is better tomorrow – I hope so – but I feel as if I am back on my way. Humber here I come!

1 comment:

  1. I don't need to offer my opinion on 'money making' religious institutions do I Bill? Well documented, I believe! - rant over too!
    Disorientated with heavy rain??? One suggestion to mull over on your travels - maybe the alcohol drunk in the pub played a significant part? x

    ReplyDelete