Wednesday 8 June 2016

On the merits of walking backwards - blog continued from Porlock!


Many of you will know that I have now had to temporarily suspend my walk; whilst my wife Daff recovers from illness back in Porlock (where I am writing this). She was in hospital in Northampton for 3 days - excellent care - and while she was there I walked a little - but not far - always trying to be within a phone call from the hospital. This was an attempt to redeem myself from the day of her admittance, when a friend’s friend - Jill - had to take her in and when I got the phone call I was lost - about 3 hours away from my car!

My friend there, Sue, suggested a walk by a reservoir - which would have been my destination from her house - but it made more sense to do it the other way round and meant that it would give Sue’s two miniature poodles a well-deserved walk.

We walked together for a short distance, rested and chatted, and then said goodbye as she returned (with dogs) to her car and left me to walk (the wrong way - Westwards) towards her Rectory in Great Brington.

Predictably enough, the phone call from Daff came not long after - saying that she was now free to be discharged  - so I managed to get Sue to pick me up earlier than I had intended from Brixworth church - near Spratton on my itinerary.

So - I walked far less than I had intended, backwards - and met Sue at the church rather than at a choice of 5 pubs (it was very hot and I was thirsty) - but the church was delightful. It was very interesting architectually (parts of it Norman/Saxon). If I can get it put on the blog, I have a postcard of a fantastic “Celtic” eagle carved in stone. The church was also decorated ready for the Queen’s birthday with flower corgis, horses and pigeons!(??is HM a pigeon-fancier?).

I felt suitably refreshed and encouraged - so it was worth walking backwards away from the pub when spiritual reawakening awaits you.

It has spurred me on towards my destination as it could easily have been a Lindisfarne eagle - with only a little stretch of the imagination!

So let’s each keep going and walking in whatever way we can

Bill.

PS Daff was ready and waiting by the time I got there

1 comment:

  1. Good job you didn't take the dogs too!! Their legs would have shortened considerably! (Glad Daff is safely home and recovering).
    What she needs is someone to take care of her and answer to her every whim - a caring vicar would suit the purpose very well, me thinks! x

    ReplyDelete