Monday 27 June 2016

BLOG 13

Well, at last I’ve caught up with my writings – I’m actually writing this directly on the computer after having attended two church services this am (at Goodmanham and Market Weighton – more on these the first place later).
 
I delayed leaving South Cave as we had quite a relaxed Sat am and said morning prayer together with my hosts – eventually I left at 10.30 am.
 
The first part of the walk I had done the night before (without the Tombstone), but was hard work uphill, but with gorgeous views back over the Humber. Then I went through some local vales and kept climbing and descending.
 
The weather held out, but was extremely hot – black clouds were gathering close by. I was trying to stop each hour and drank a lot of water. I had a phone call from my next host, David, arranged where to meet him, then later spoke to Daff. As I was climbing I thought  I might have been able to see the towers of York Minster.
Got up the top of a steep climb, panting, still speaking to her on the phone, to be greeted by Richard and his wife, Jen.
 
They’d been trying to ring whilst I was on the phone – and Richard was coming to walk with me – which was nice. Even nicer, was the fact that Jen took off 2/3 of the Tombstone with her in the back of car!
 
Although Richard had his binoculars with him, we didn’t see any interesting birds, but we did have a hare stop right in front of us, before it left us galloping – the movement was completely different to that of a rabbit – I can see why they’re part of the deer family (so I believe). Will my photo come out?
 
We finally descended into Goodmanham, after a few welcome spots of rain and had (well I had) a good pint and a half of cider, at the excellent local pub (In other places I’ve been told there’s no demand for it around here).
 
Richard entertained me with stories about Columbanus, Edwin and a local high priest, Cedwi – or something similar – who spectacularly converted to Christianity. Then founded a church, before going onto York.
 
In the late 1920s, Cosmo Lang, then Archbishop led a pilgrimage to Goodmanham from York – and there’s a window in the church commemorating their journey.
 
More recently, ABp John Sentamu has been doing a pilgrimage tour of the diocese, riding on a tractor with locals, which has been down well.
 
It’s nice to think that I am in such illustrious company; but our modern Abp worked much harder than me – he led pilgrim prayers twice a day as well as walking.
 
So what is the purpose of all this walking? You know part of answer – the reason I gave when starting this blog – but I suspect my answer later on may be slightly different.
 
Looking forward to seeing Daff at York as long as she is well enough to make it.
 

1 comment: