Monday 6 June 2016

Sermon

Dear Blog/Blogee

This isn't quite what I delivered, but it's roughly similar.
I spoke this at Harlstone, one of Sue Kipling's churches at a Benefice service:
This comes with the last blog for a while ...

Now I know that you are a man/person of God - said about Elijah by the widow

Yesterday in a pub between hospital visits,
when I heard the news of the death of Muhammed Ali; I crossed myself - why?

In a sense each of us "is the greatest" - the person God meant us to be.
What do I mean, given humility of Jesus
(NB not Jesus meek and mild - that's Victorian claptrap)

Back to lectionary readings - link of numbers and waiting
3 years of waiting for St. Paul
3 times for Elijah to lie on the dead widow's son
BUT not in the gospel - that widow's son healed instantly.

But, Jesus did go into the desert/wilderness for 40 days
 - as preparation.

All waiting in their walk with God
My interrupted pilgrimage (Daff being ill)
I've got to wait.

God may have other plans for me/us (ref commentary of Sue's on Joshua 24).

We all have to wait upon God
So that then others can say - this is a person from God

You are the person God meant you to be

So - get up, wait - and go on God's walk.   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment