Friday 17 June 2016

Blog 7 June


 First day of real walking today – with the ‘tombstone’ – apologies to Simon Armitage – on my back; my back got used to it, but more difficult terrain today in Lincolnshore – very wet!
 
I’ve decided there’s a worse hazard than bulls in a field (the last bull ran away from me!) – it’s called – I think – triticale… (it’s a type of bean crop for animal fodder). I'm not sure it is after seeing a picture on google, however, whatever.
 
Often I fail to find a footpath, but this one was marked – so I knew I was right – I was fighting my way through the crop about 4 or 5 foot high and it’s like bindweed on the ground, meaning that walking poles were useless. It was really hard going; I reckon it took me over an hour to do a mile (not all through this stuff, thank goodness). Also profuse sweating at the end of it – maybe I am losing some weight. It made sheltering from a nearby thunderstorm and being sting by nettles seem like peanuts (perhaps they’re also hard to walk through?!).
 
I’ve an idea for a theological reflection on it – a retelling of the parable of the seed/sower (in this case the parable of the path) – but you’ll have to wait and see …
 
I’ve had a great time staying in Edenham retreat Centre with Fr. Andy and had a very interesting discussion with him about Forward in Faith and the pain he feels about female bishops. The time was only marred by no mobile signal – so unable to keep in touch with Daff – who is recovering, but very slowly – please keep her in your prayers.
 
Tomorrow staying in Ancaster with Di and Dick Fairhead  - am looking forward to it. Tonight with Chris Atkinson and his wife Anna (well actually staying at her vicarage) in Billingborough where they also have bell-ringing practice on Wed night.
 
I’ve been fed, had a bath, made two mobile calls and am waiting for Anna and a theological student, Myles, to come back from a late governors meeting – they’ll eat later – I ate with father and daughter(!) – a delicious vegan curry.
 
Not much theological reflection today – just hard slog. But did plenty of that on retreat (three parts of an “essay” to come)

1 comment:

  1. You seem to be making very good speed. Are you ahead of schedule?

    ReplyDelete