Thursday 23 June 2016

Blog 8 June

I have drawn a picture not worth duplicating of “Long Hollow” – a path through fields of crops and poppies – stunning vista.

 

An easy day to start – began early and then to HeydonChurch (not open), but sat in porch (near Oakby). It should be quiet and reflective, but unfortunately there’s some agricultural machinery nearby loading muck (I think), making a particularly loud noise when reversing.

 

It’s made me reflect on whether sound is the modern enemy. I’ve lent my second copy of Lucy Winkett’s excellent book to Sue Kipling -  I’ll have to see if Daff can find my other copy.

 

I’ve been reading Psalm 109, which as well as mentioning enemies talks about “walking in the way of the Lord”
(and not walking in the way of the enemy).

When written, it was probably clear who the enemy was, but who is it now – I don’t want to go down the route of attacking ISIS – or any other random killer. I think one of our modern enemies is noise.

 

I can hear the birdsong valiantly chirupping away above the tractor’s noise, singing indifferently. I accept some technology is inevitable – but I’ve been praying for cleaner use of power and energy – each time I pass a pylon. I’m afraid for me, nuclear is not the answer, I know others disagree.

 

And yet, somehow in the machine’s noise there is calm (as in the hymn). I find it difficult to concentrate – but there is calm.

 

I know that when I leave (in fact, the noise stopped as I started packing up) I will hear just the birdsong and how much sweeter it’ll then seem.

 

So, perhaps necessary progress, but we need to try hard to find periods of calm within. It’s like my “poustinia” – we need to find a place of quiet and solitude within our busy lives –even if we’re in a traffic jam , or sitting in a noisy church porch.

 

In an alternative Morning Prayer service I found this opening prayer with which I’ll close; it seems to sum things up:

To work again, a hurrying crowd, exhaust fumes, bus pass ready.

Remember the coffee, need a new cheque book, change the date: …

        In stillness the purple magnolia blooms

 

Amen.

 

1 comment:

  1. Birdsong is 'noise' too Bill, so clearly the 'modern enemy' needs defining? Where does cockerel crowing fit in? .......the first debate and how world wars begin!!
    How funny you must have looked sat in the porch of the church! Did you have a sign saying homeless and hungry? Might have been profitable! x

    ReplyDelete